With the changing of seasons, the inevitable spring-cleaning bug tends to bite — sometimes hard. Here to help you organize those spaces in your home that need a little freshening up, Audrey Swanson is picking the minds of local professionals to share their tricks of the trade on home organization.
Every lady loves getting fancied up: donning your MAC-artist-approved makeup and combing your coif into a Pantene-ad-esque hair for a glam night out. But when you can’t find your favorite red lipstick in a sea of products, the fun gets overshadowed by frustration. Here to help is Lorraine Brock, professional organizer with Get Organized! She’ll take your vanity space to a new level of lovely with these easy steps and helpful accessories:
1. Don’t overdo it. It’s easy to over-purchase makeup and hair accessories depending on the trends at the moment. I, for example, tend to binge buy lipstick without thinking about the twenty tubes I already have at home. Brock says stop! If you don’t need it or won’t use it more than twice, avoid it altogether.
2. Contain what you can. If it’s on the counter, it deserves a new home. Box your makeup and hair care best in beauty with this luxury cosmetic box.
3. Add some architecture. Try some simple trays to house the items that are musts to keep out, like that favorite perfume you always use. If you want to get real fancy, utilize a beautiful cake platter to spice up the items on your vanity.
4. Make use of every surface. Even the walls can help keep things organized! Who knew? With a couple stick on pods, you’ll have the easiest access to cotton balls, q-tips, and more when you need them.
5. Plan for you. Putting together a vanity space that fits your lifestyle is crucial. It should be organized for beauty and, most importantly, for function. If you use the same products every day, the rest of the stuff can go away.
Audrey Swanson is a D Home and D Weddings intern.