We’ve been long time fans of Brad Oldham’s work. His sculptures can be seen around town: The Traveling Man installation in Deep Ellum, the Lumen Light Team at the Lumen Hotel, and Whimsy & Wise at the Center for Brain Health to name a few. But his latest project has us intrigued. Pure Sculpture aims at creating accessible works of art through a collaboration with artist and collector. You can shop some of the collections here.
We sat down with Brad and asked him what is inspiring him now. We can tell he has a soft spot for nature, a love of animals, and a refined foodie palette. Here are his 14 favorite things.
1. Pure Sculpture: I started this company with my two co-founders to make Fine Art sculpture more accessible. My favorite sculpture is Captain, a bronze barn owl sculpture symbolizing love.
2. F is for Frank: Shoshannah and Casey are creating, hand-made jewelry with unique flair. I see big talent in both these ladies.
3. Lark on the Park: The location near Klyde Warren is ideal; my wife and I had a great dinner there recently. Everything was sincerely enjoyable.
4. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Moisturizer: I use it daily, and it’s especially great in cold, dry winter weather.
5. Retro 51 writing instruments: The Tornado is a most awesome pen and travels with me everywhere.
6. SMU: Although I did not attend SMU (yet), I love living near and amongst all the great things the university stands for and creates from Engineering and Humanities week, sports teams, lecture series, Meadows Museum and the beautiful campus. What a treasure hidden in plain sight.
7. Trex Decking: Hands down, this is the best material to use when building a deck. You’ll never have to paint again.
8. The Katy Trail: I am on it every day, weaving and dodging when it’s crowded. My dog Pete loves it.
9. Diesel Fitness: My favorite place to work out. This place has all I need to sweat, without the pomp and circumstance.
10. Katy Trail Animal Hospital: Honestly, these are the nicest group of doctors and staff anywhere – they take great care of our pets.
11. Nathan Fillion: I like Nathan Fillion in everything he does: Firefly, Castle, Slither. He makes me laugh. If you know Nathan, please let him know that he’s invited to the studio to work with me any time.
12. National Geographic Society : Every time I visit the Nat Geo headquarters in Washington, DC, I am so inspired by what they do to save our planet. It might sound sappy, but their work is a gift to the world and those of us on it.
13. Solstice Salon in Oak Cliff: Marisa Solis Belz keeps my hair in shape.
14. Encore Park: This very special project near the Farmer’s Market is an expansion of The Stewpot and resurrection of a neighborhood in downtown Dallas. Construction has started on Encore Park for it to be a truly unique campus to help the growing needs of the people of Dallas.