D Home intern Monica Lake is hitting up her favorite local home/gift/accessories stores with her shiny new Canon 6D (a recent college graduation gift) in tow. She’ll shop the store, snap some pictures, and report her five favorite things. Stay tuned each Friday for her picks. For her third post in the series, she shops Sur La Table for the perfect gear to throw the best backyard barbeque on the block (whew, that’s a lot of alliteration).
By Monica Lake
Backyard barbeques have a reputation for being pretty casual. Grill? Check. Stocked cooler? Check. Maybe that’s all you really need, but taking your summer soirée a step up from the competition really isn’t all that hard or expensive. Make easy look elegant with these fab finds from Sur La Table on Travis St. Jump for the details.
- 1) A barbecue’s not a barbeque without gingham. Serve your guests on this rustic gingham barbeque tray ($28).
- 2) I adore pretty wine glasses, but the problem with glasses is that glass breaks. With these colorful acrylic ruby wine glasses ($5), your guests can accidentally knock it over without having to take a moment of silence to mourn the loss. And you wont have to shame them with red Solo cups, bringing back college memories they may want to forget.
- 3) The acrylic beverage jar ($35) is an easy way to class up your party. The acrylic is nice because it doesn’t shatter if it gets knocked off the edge of the table, but there are glass jars too for just a few more dollars.
- 4) Serve your guests in style with the red gingham servers ($21). The more gingham the better, right? (Note: not applicable to all situations.)
- 5) The picnic check place mats ($17) complete the look and help to formalize the otherwise casual event, even if you’re only using paper plates.
With all this and a simple strand of lights strung in the back yard, you’ve got a party they’ll remember.