Designer Robyn Menter is known for her artful, modern interiors. The spaces she creates through her eponymous firm manage to be at once sparse and welcoming, with a muted palette and iconic furniture providing the backdrop for character-infusing lighting, books, fresh flowers and, of course, eye-popping works of art. We asked this maestro of minimalism to share some of the things inspiring her of late, and her list did not disappoint.
Herewith some of Robin’s favorite things.
- 1. Homi Bhabha’s book, Anish Kapoor – This work explores Kapoor’s forms and use of color, and it includes full-color reproductions.
- 2. Yamaguchi Ryuun — Ryuun is a talented Japanese bamboo basketry artist – one of many featured at Tai Gallery in Santa Fe.
- 3. Dan Flavin’s installation at Chinati in Marfa — I find the color combination in lights to be nothing if not magical.
- 4. Dale Chihuly’s sculptures at The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden — His visually stunning creations are breathtaking. The white flowers are my personal favorites.
- 5. Mid-century modern — For all things MCM, Collage in Dallas is a go-to resource.
- 6. Grange Hall – Whenever I’m looking for a hard-to-find accessory or a unique selection of coffee table books, Grange Hall always has something spectacular.
- 7. Geometric print fabrics – I love the Bolero pattern from Rodolph in particular. It’s a fun throwback to 70s style while still feeling modern.
- 8. Nest — The new velvet throws and pillows and the woven leather and cashmere throws are cozy and chic.
- 9. Surf and Sand Resort in Laguna Beach — Sophisticated, ocean view rooms overlook the beach, and the sound of the waves is a tonic.
- 10. Yoga — Nothing helps me clear my head and “realign” quite like yoga. It’s as much a mental exercise as it is physical.
- 11. My office — It’s my home-away-from home with double volume ceilings, several skylights, library, an eclectic art collection, and my vintage Knoll Burdick desk from Collage. I can feel the positive energy as soon as I walk through the door.
- 12. Photographs from my Travels — The collection of pictures from my travels to India, Japan, Vietnam, China, and South Africa serve as a source of constant inspiration and nostalgia.
- 13. My recently remodeled spa bathroom — I finally made the time to create a beautiful space for us in our home.