Janet Rice pays attention to the details.
She gleefully obsesses over the perfect hostess gift and has been known to bolt awake at 3:00 a.m. to rethink the nailhead trim on a chair she’s having refurbished for a client. She sweats the small stuff… in the best possible way.
After spending a decade in NYC making the minutia into magic as an editor and stylist, Janet launched her eponymous firm, offering services ranging from a design therapy session to a full-blown house revamp. When she’s not attending to the little (and big) bits for her clients, she’s ogling art, fishing with her son, and cranking up the Cuban tunes. Take a peek at what else is rocking Janet Rice’s world after the jump…
Summer is my favorite time of year. It brings back fond childhood memories of times spent at the beach, tennis, golf, swimming and grilled burgers at the club, great music and outdoor movies. Everything is in season – so flower arranging, cooking and outdoor living are that much more fun!!
1. Funky Zebra Rug designed by Diane Von Furstenberg for The Rug Company. Edgy and Forward. Looks super hip in this living room – high rise on turtle creek designed by Janet Rice Interiors.
2. The Four Seasons – Nevis. For the past seven summers, my family and I have headed to the West Indies for a little R&R. We always stay at the Four Seasons in Nevis – soak up the sun, beach, snorkel, deep sea fishing and get our fill of the Island Life. Headed that way soon – Paradise Awaits.
3. Kips Bay Designer Show House. Since opening up Janet Rice Interiors in New York City I am back and forth from Dallas to New York much more often!! Love this. Recently hit Kips Bay Designer Show house on opening Day. It did not disappoint. I loved Rooms designed by David Scott – actually was able to visit with him while touring. He is the nicest and has a new book on the market. Brian McCarthy, Bunny Williams and David Kleinberg’s room was divine. A wonderful tribute to Albert Hadley and Thom Filicia’s lacquered green walls in the “gallery” made me fall in love with the color green all over again!! And then there is the kitchen designed by St. Charles – absolute perfection.
4. Good Music. We always have a variety of tunes kickin’ in our home. From Justin Beiber to Arturo Sandobal. Our music tastes run wide and deep pending on the day or the mood. However, in the summer we belt out the old Cuban tunes from the 40’s and 50’s. My good friend and favorite photographer, Manny Rodriquez, mixed a variety of Cuban music for my wedding 7 years ago – helluva mix. Artists like – Ruben Blades, Frank Emilio Flynn, Orqusta Argon and Cachao fill our home and inspire all the while reminding me of my Cuban heritage and favorite top banana from Havana – Manny.
5. Fabrics that Inspire:
- - Designers Guild: Miami Prints/Flamingo Park
- - Lilly Pulitzer at Lee Jofa Heritage Floral
- - Lilly Pulitzer at Lee Jofa Sea Fan in Sea Foam
- - Windsor Smith for Kravet Collections: Leisi Paisley in Orkid and Turquoise
6. A Glam Revamp. These dining room chairs are nothing short of fabulous. Just refinished and reupholstered for a client. Here is the before and after. Amazing. Kravet Kid Glove in Seaglass. The perfect shade of powder blue.
7. The Stein Event at the Met. OMG. GENIUS. What a collection, what a story. By far one of the best exhibits I have ever seen – incredible. Well done. One should go to NYC just to see this.
8. The Perfect Bikini. Summer is not complete with out a couple of new suits – I am in Love with Milly’s Antibes Bikini in Berry and Barbados Bikini in Navy.
9. A Summer Reading List. Here’s what’s on Mine: Shocking Life – The Autobiography of Elsa Schiaparelli, David Rockefeller – Memoirs, Oh The Places’ You’ll Go, and for reading with the kids, The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne.
10. Peonies, Peonies Everywhere!! My favorite flower is in season for the duration of summer. Could not be happier!! Love pave of peonies in clear glass vase. Simple elegance.