In a (vast) sea of lifestyle blogs, Sally and Molly Miller’s site, A Piece of Toast, manages to stand-out from the pack. The Dallas sisters, an educator and a buyer respectively, possess impeccable taste and a knack for sussing out the loveliest of people, places, and things. And their friendly, conversational voice has earned them a loyal international following.
We managed to convince them to share some of their goodness here this week, and happily they obliged (in full disclosure, it wasn’t a hard sell, as the duo is also incredibly nice).
After the jump, the Miller sisters share a few of their favorite things. Enjoy!
- 1. Leaned artwork. I got over the idea of a gallery wall pretty much as soon as the fad started but I die for the idea of having a bunch of artwork overlapping and leaning on one another. Weather along the baseboards, on shelves or atop a dresser or desk, the look is disheveled and effortless – and makes switching things around easy.
- 2. Dude, Sweet Chocolate. Everything – from the name, flavors, presentation, and location – makes me love this Bishop Arts District sweet spot. Such a great gift for out-of-towners or to treat myself. Things always taste better when bundled up in impeccable packaging. Always.
- 3. Feather “Juju” African Headdresses. You have to pay a price for the hand-made and authentic variety but my dream is to have three white ones hanging above my sectional sofa one day… Ever since seeing them in my favorite house on the Dallas Modern Homes Tour I cannot stop plotting a way to have my own. They’re tribal-esque without being over the top and the texture adds perfection dimension while taking up a good amount of “what do I do with this massive expanse of wall” space. (Image above via Table Tonic.)
- 4. Natural Light. Is there anything better than a space (especially a home) with gorgeous natural light? It just makes everything look and feel better and makes taking interior photographs much easier. Crossing my fingers that my someday home has floor to ceiling windows…
- 5. Lana Diamond Hoops. I am crazy for dainty jewelry and hoop earrings and to me, these are perfect. My birthday is in October… Kidding. But really, I love how artistic and subtle Lana’s jewelry is – true everyday pieces that can be dressed up or down.
- 6. Style Photography. I adore Pinterest – and our boards grow by the minute – but I am most fascinated and drawn to street style and fashion photography. Talents like Jamie Beck, Scott Schuman, Garance Dore, Hanneli, Stockholm Street Style, and so many more always (always, always, always) make me look at fashion and style in a different way. (Image above via Saisonniers.)
- 7. Hand-written Notes. I say it often, but I love these “Thank You” cards by Rifle Paper Company so much that I fear the day the stop printing them. Nothing says you care like a hand-written note on a gorgeous (and gold!) card.
- 8. Union Bear. One might not know it but Dallas has as many good pizza spots as it does Tex-Mex! I’m always adding to my list of favorites (Cane Rosso, Neo, Fireside Pies, Coal Vines, etc.) but Union Bear just joined the ranks. I’m a sucker for good graphics and I love the food as much as I do the branded environment, menus and website! Trust me, the “Pig Honey” pizza is incredibly inspiring for your taste buds…
- 9. Blu Dot Strut Tables. I just blogged about these tables (here) and now I can’t stop thinking up ideas for why I need to replace my current coffee table (an old but amazing hand-me-down) with an ivory version… Everyone is doing lucite these days (which I also love) so this is me being rebellious!
- 10. The Fashion Coloring Book. What’s more inspiring than a coloring book (with adult fashion) and a 64 pack with a sharpener?